Sunday, March 05, 2006

"And They're Turning The Lights Off!"

Youtube.com is an amazing internet resouce. Dang near any video footage you're interested in is available for your viewing pleasure.

Being a big fan of a good hockey fight, I came across the following doozies.

1987 Team Canada Vs. USSR World Junior Hockey brawl

At one point they attempt to turn the lights off in the arena to no avail. The refs even leave the ice. The only ugly moment is when the crowd starts chanting "WE WANT HOCKEY WE WANT HOCKEY!"

A classic here--Ottawa and Philly. Called the biggest brawl of all time, it starts with Donald Brashear and Rob Ray mixing it up and both goaltenders join the fun. Order is unfortunately restored, but things heat up again. Again, order is restored and again they go at it. This goes on for some time. Great stuff.

There's plenty more so check them out.

When researching this post, I also came across a hilarious interview with former NHL'er Al Secord--a man much hated for years by the North Star faithful during the golden years of Minnesota professional hockey (circa 1970-1991). Some excerpts

I think my first NHL fight was against Curt Bennett, but I am not sure. I remember, then I hit Anders Hedberg of the Rangers over the boards and he came and used his stick at me. Well, he skated away so I went to the Rangers bench and tried to challenge them, but to no avail.

After the period Hedberg came up to me and started to whine about something, so I punched him. John Davidson came to his rescue and soon we had a small brawl. Players were wondering "what's going on?", since they didn't see me punching Hedberg.

Then Terry O'Reilly was hit by a spectator and O'Reilly went to the stands with Stan Jonathan. They catched the guy who had hit O'Reilly, but there were three brothers with their father and they all attacked our guys. While they had their own fight going, one guy tried to escape and was running up the stairs but Peter McNab caught him and pulled him down, right between the benches. I went and pummeled the guy while Mike Milbury was beating the guy with his own shoe. Seven Bruins-players were sued and one million dollars was asked from every one of us as a compensation. Later on, the case folded somehow."


Secord puts the whole fighting thing in perspective here:

We hockey players take great pride about our professionalism, it's a job to us. What happens on the ice, stays there. I have an ok relationship with him, and we hold no grudge to each other. I know, it might seem hard to understand to someone who doesn't watch hockey. It must be odd seeing two guys wanting to kill each other on the rink and later on the same night having a beer together and laughing and exchanging stories."

Read it all as they say on Powerline.

UPDATE:

This one is excellent too. Shows Jerome Iginla's serious fighting skills and includes an incredibly cheap shot at Mike Vernon. Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment