Thursday, March 02, 2006

JB Boozeless Update I

I spent my first night boozeless last night. My usual ritual (pre-Lent) when I come home from work is the following:

1. Greet wife

2. Inspect housework wife was assigned for the day to make sure it was done to standards (what was Reagan's old adage "Inspect what you expect" "Trust but verify"? It's along those lines...)

3. Ask wife what's for dinner and then make craggly face if answer is unsatisfactory

4. Go to booze cabinet and pick out an appropriate after-work relaxant. For a while now I've been on a bourbon kick, so it's usually about 4 fingers of Jim Beam Black and a couple of ice cubes. Sets the appetite wonderfully

5. Turn off television (you know how women love their Oprah) and turn on stereo system. Brian Setzer's live album goes perfectly with a cocktail

6. Peruse local paper, often stopping to swear and curse leftist drivel I run across

7. Eat dinner, often with a glass of wine. Which then often leads to another

So, as you can see, booze was an integral part of my daily life. At first I was somewhat out-of-sorts when I came home and tried to relax with a glass of water and I was hoping going boozeless would tame my anger at the leftist drivel but it wasn't to be.

But after a while though I started to chill even without the hootch. American Idol was watched, guitar was played, loving jokes were made with wife--the night went fine. But remember, this is Night One of many, many to follow.

I wonder if I feel this way at Day Twenty.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment