Friday, March 10, 2006

Reading Between The Lines

Cap'n Ed likes the Rick Moranis version of Alan Greenspan's pending autobiography. I prefer Christopher Buckley's take, which appears in the editorial pages of today's WSJ:

"First, the senators were always very deferential, and would call me 'Mr. Chairman' and agree with anything I said. They would plant metaphorical kisses on certain smooth portions of my anatomy, and I found this to be generally agreeable. Second, it was a chance to try out whatever new phrase I had devised to describe the general state of the economy, such as 'irrational exuberance' or 'continued growth.' Typically, I would come up with these chestnuts in the shower or while smoking a cigar after sexual intercourse.

"On the ride up to the Hill, I would sometimes entertain fantasies about 'letting it all hang' out and saying, 'Senator, these fluctuations in the price of molybdenum on the Tokyo stock market frankly tighten my sphincter. We may well be standing on the brink of an abyss from which there is no returning. I would advise the government of the United States to make peace with God and prepare to die.'

No comments:

Post a Comment