Monday, March 13, 2006

Patty On Dude

The sweetest word for a Catholic, especially during Lent, is "dispensation." And for local Catholics hankering for a hunk of corned beef on St. Patrick's Day this Friday, it has never sounded sweeter. A message from the Archbishop appeared today in my church bulletin:

I am aware that the feast of St. Patrick's Day. March 17th, falls on a Friday during Lent this year. Because of the traditional celebrations associated with this day, which in many cases are held at our parishes, I have decided to grant a general dispensation to all Catholics in the Archdiocese from the requirement of abstinence on that day. However, I encourage all to mark the day with some other form of special observance, such as prayer or almsgiving.

Enjoy that corned beef at Keegan's Irish Pub this Friday my meat deprived Catholic brothers. Guilt free.

Oh JB? That dispensation DOES NOT include an allowance for quaffing a pint or two on Friday by those who already have foresworn it for Lent. I checked with my priest just to make sure and he was adamant. Sorry man. Just think how good that Guinness is gonna taste on Easter. It's only what, twenty-eight more days?

No comments:

Post a Comment