Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Lay It Down Clown

If you've been itching for a chance to release some of your long pent-up teenage angst and light me up over my views on The Replacements, but you're just too shiftless when idle to compose an e-mail, you now have an opportunity to sound off in the comments at this post at Shot In The Dark. Keep in mind though that nothing you can say compares to the slander against my good name that Mitch "Amnesty International" Berg has already perpetrated in the opening line of his post.

The latest e-mail on the subject worthy of posting comes from Robb from Arizona:

As someone who likes "the idea of" The Ramones but not actually listening to them, I'm sympathetic to your feelings about The Replacements, even though I don't share them. If you delete "All Shook Down" from their catalog (I like to consider it Paul's first solo album) what's left ranges from the "pretty good" to the divine. If it was just punk music, it wouldn't be all that great. But it wasn't - it was the scarred, dark, beer-soaked trainwreck that was Paul Westerberg's soul. No stupid politics and no self- righteousness. Paul (and Bob Mould, for that matter) had a way of dumping out the pain in a way few others have had the honesty to do. And sometimes they were just drunk and silly, and that was pretty honest, too.

Still, I didn't live in Minneapolis, and I was a few years too young anyway. My "live Replacements shows" were The Gin Blossoms before they finished their first major label album and Doug killed himself. So I don't know first-hand what that kind of insane hometown hype was attached to them. But I do know this: no ass in Minneapolis is or has been more over-hyped than Prince's purple posterior.

No comments:

Post a Comment