Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Make Tonight (Actually Tomorrow Night) A Wonderful Place

I had the good fortune of breezing through Fargo last week. Fargo? GOOD fortune? I know, it sounds nutty but bear with me.

First stop was the James Lileks Interpretive Center. While not as interesting or varied as the Mitch Berg Interpretive Center (I mean, how could it be?) in Jamestown, the interactive features were kind of cool. I was able to vacuum what looked exactly like Jasperwood's north solarium and I corrected a faux homework assignment for the Gnat.

But the real reason the trip to Fargo was so enjoyable was stopping at arguably the best liqour store in the world (it's a chain of three actually) Happy Harry's.

The choices of hootch simply boggle the mind. I spent 10 minutes alone admiring the bourbons--there must have been 25 varities--many of which I had not even been drunk on before. But the real score came when I discovered Shaker's vodka on sale for $18 a bottle.

If you've never had Shakers, do yourself a favor. It's made from humble Benson, Minnesota grains and is perhaps the smoothest and tastiest of any of the top shelfs out there. I was able to procure a bottle of rye vodka AND wheat. I'm not sure the difference but we'll soon find out. (My wife only allows me to drink heavily on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, so I have one more day...)

UPDATE--Atomizer Adds:

JB is clearly delusional. The only liquor store worth patronizing is Glen Lake Wine & Spirits in scenic Minnetonka, MN. It's the only booze purveyor that meets with my incredibly stringent standards.

That name again is Glen Lake Wine & Spirits. Stop by today...and tell them that Atomizer's liver sent you.


UPDATE II: JB RETORTS

And your preference of this store has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that their lack of security has allowed you to five-finger-discount your way to drunken bliss on more than one occasion now does it?

Sorry I had to rat you out on the internet like this, but I'm sure the proprietors were kind of wondering why you never seemed to buy anything and were at the store 3-4 times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment