Monday, September 11, 2006

Schadenball

In years past, I was a dedicated follower of our local NFL franchise. I always made time in my schedule to watch the Vikings on TV, even to the point of driving out of town to catch games during the time when they were subject to blackout in the Twin Cities. I enjoyed the team's successes (such as they were) and agonized over their many failures.

Somewhere along the line something changed. Perhaps it was maturity. Perhaps it was the belated realization that basing my happiness on the result of a sporting event contested by overpaid, over-praised men who often behave as overgrown children was not healthy. Or perhaps it was just the incredibly bitter taste that the 2001 NFC Championship left in my mouth.

Whatever the reason, my passion for the Purple has ebbed to a point slightly about indifference. I'll probably watch some of their opener tonight against the 'Skins and will be cheering for them to win. If they do, good. If they don't, meh.

It's not that as if I don't still enjoying watching football. I do. But I now find that I now get more joy from watching the struggles of other teams than from the success of my own.

Which meant that yesterday was a very good day. If the Vikings win tonight my satisfaction will be nothing compared to being able to watch the Packers and their delusional quarterback get mauled by the Bears in front of the drunken and delusion Green Bay fans yesterday. That was a beautiful thing.

Not quite as delicious, but nevertheless enjoyable, was seeing the Lions fall to Seattle. The defensive roar may have been restored in Detroit, but the offense is as pathetic as usual.

The icing on the cake had to be seeing the score and watching the highlights as the Saints knocked off Cleveland, beginning the Browns downward spiral to yet another losing season. The fact that USC's Reggie Bush led the Saints to the victory made it especially sweet. There's always next year, right Hugh?

By the way, this holds for college 'ball as well. While I also like to watch college football, I have no dog in the hunt. However, there a couple of teams in particular that I find myself wishing the worst for week after week: Notre Dame and Ohio State. Hugh describes a Buckeyes versus Irish national championship game as his "nightmare scenario." It's mine too, because it would mean that one of the teams would be the national champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment