Monday, October 02, 2006

Podcast of the Day

I had never heard a congregation applaud a homily at a Mass before I started attending the Church of the Holy Family in St. Louis Park. Yesterday marked the second occasion of that reaction. If your cleric of choice has never inspired such amazing, joyful acclimation among the faithful, through the miracle of technology, you can listen here. Click on the MP3 for October 1.

Knowing the man behind these inspired words, Fr. Thomas Dufner, doesn't wholly approve of this reaction during a Mass, I did not join in the uproar this time. But I wished we had the Southern Baptist tradition of shouting out "Amen!" or even the British Parliament tradition of harrumphing "here here" at these moments of spiritual effluence. Alas, we do not and I settled for the more dignified and Minnesotan solemn nodding.

This kind of thing happens all the time at Holy Family, which is why I consider my 45 minute one way commute to St. Louis Park be time well spent. I encourage you Catholics (and others) more used to hearing snoring than applause during Sunday morning services to check it out some time live, or if you must, on tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment