Monday, October 30, 2006

Straight Outta Stuttgart

A couple of weeks ago when I was in the in The Netherlands for business, I developed a bit of a morning routine. As I prepared to get ready for work, I would flip on the television for a quick update on world news. After a couple of minutes of gathering that nothing much new was under the sun--other that our on-going journey to Hades in a hand-basket--I would surf over to a video channel for one of my guilty little pleasures: European hip hop.

Yes, it's as bad (and hence good) as it sounds. They've imported all the standard American rap video staples: baseball caps, baggy pants, gold chains, money, guns, hot cars, and skanky 'hos. They're rolling with the defiant 'tude, the hand gestures, the slouching posture, but most of them are pasty white boys laying down their rhymes in German. From the mean streets of South Central Cologne to Euro-rap video stardom.

No comments:

Post a Comment