Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Horror

During the NARN broadcast this past Saturday at the MN State Fair, we turned the AM1280 the Patriot booth into the Conservative House of Horrors. Behind the imposing antebellum mansion facade that is the Patriot booth, we lined up a collection of monsters and ghouls sure to send the icy spasms of fear down any liberal Minnesotans' spine. It was all there: second hand smoke, Walmart merchandise, Christians, disapproving Frenchmen, David Strom. Margaret Martin over at Our House Blog documents the terror as it happened.

Looking at the pictures, I recall my favorite moment, which probably was never heard on air. It was with the first ghouls out the door, Dick Cheney and George W. Bush (as portrayed masterfully by Chad the Elder and Captain Ed Morrissey). Amid the deafening shrieks and calls of "war mongers!" and "you hate the poor!" by our liberal (Hubert Delano Lundegaard, aka the Nihilist in Golfpants), our Cheney quipped "Go F yourself!" and our Bush said "major league A-hole." Through their masks and through the noise, I may be the only one to have heard it, but those sly tributes to Pat Leahy and Adam Clymer should not go unrecognized. That my friends is character acting.

For those that didn't hear any of the Conservative House of Horrors, we have a review by noted radio thespian critic, James Phillips.

Well that certainly was, well, radio. Of course I mock, but then I'm the one sitting in front of my computer listening. Hey, who the hell am I? Nobody's giving me a radio program. And if I thought for a moment that bootlicking NARN would help me? To quote Norm Peterson, "so long as there are butts to be kissed and boots to be licked, there will be a place for me in this world!"

Honestly, I was laughing. I'm probably "spoiled" because I listen to the nationally syndicated Bob & Tom Show. They have some very professionally produced bits that nobody can really equal. They've got some real good voice-over pros and a couple guys who can do the Big Deep Radio Guy voice. And a production studio and a full band. But wait. You've got Mitch Berg! The One-Man-Band!


That we do. I've never heard of Bob & Tom (frankly, those names sound made up. And I'm not really a fan of "ethnic" humor anyway.) But I dare say neither have ever simulated laying an egg live on the air, participated in a 3 course meal speed eating contest, and interviewed a United States Congressman, all in the course of a single show. Professional radio, thy name is Berg.

No comments:

Post a Comment