Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Who's Drinking And What For?

Last night I had the great pleasure of seeing The Rolling Stones perform at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. I'll spare you the concert review as I personally find reading such summaries tedious, somewhat self-indulgent and utterly pointless.

I will say, however, that as enjoyable as the show was, it will be the last Stones show I'll ever attend regardless of whether or not the boys continue rocking into their early nineties. It's not that they don't put on a great show. The entire evening was, in fact, a gas. It's just that the boys have lost a lot of what made me into one of their biggest fans well over two decades ago.

Perhaps the best illustration of what I mean comes from a conversation I overheard at the arena bar shortly before The Stones took the stage. A guy standing in front of me in line to buy an outrageously overpriced beer noticed the sign behind the bar that read "All Alcohol Sales Will End At 9:00PM". The puzzled patron asked the bartender what the purpose of this incredibly Draconian measure was. The bartender replied "As soon as The Stones hit the stage, all booze sales end. It was at the request of the band."

No booze for the entirety of a Stones show. The Glimmer Twins certainly have come a long, long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment