Thursday, September 29, 2005

Something's Hoppening Here

Lots of news brewing on the beer front.

Item #1: The Beer Ratings have just been updated, with the addition of ten new brews (new ratings noted in red). The list includes a couple of fine selections from Arcadia Brewing Co out of Michigan as well as a trio of beers from Breckenridge Brewing in Colorado.

A quick aside while we're on the subject of Colorado beers. I hate to break it to the folks in the Rocky Mountain State, but Fat Tire Amber Ale, produced by New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins is not the end all and be all of beers. Yes, it's a tasty brew, but it can't possibly live up to the hype that now surrounds it. I actually believe that Sunshine Wheat, another offering from New Belgium, is a much superior beer.

Back to the ratings. Lately, I've been finding my geographic area of beer knowledge confining and limiting to future growth. I needed to expand my boundaries and my borders. I felt the need for Trinkensraum. And so, like so many others have before me, I looked to the wide open spaces of the East. Russia, the FSU (former Soviet Union), and Eastern Europe to be exact.

The community where I live has a sizable number of émigrés from these lands and so local liquor stores stock a decent offering from the East. For this particular round, I selected three beers to evaluate:

Baltika Extra Pale from Russia

Zhiguly Ale from Lithuania

Jurand's Mocne from Poland

All in all, I was not impressed. The Baltika was the best of the bunch, which is not saying much. Alcohol is a critical part of the taste of a good beer, but in these three beers, especially the Zhiguly, it was overwhelming. Considering the punch these beers pack, I suppose that's not surprising, although other beers with similar alcohol content do a much better job masking the flavor. When it came to taste, there's no just not much else there with this trio.

But I'm not going to give up on the East based on three beers. I shall return to my neighborhood liquor store and explore some more. Baltika produces several different brews and I may one of them more to my liking.

Item #2: Speaking of beers with high alcohol content, the beers of fall are now upon us. Some of my favorites from years past include:

Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen
Full Sail's Octoberfest
Summit Octoberfest (although I prefer the Alt that they used to brew)
Capital Brewing's Octoberfest
Flying Dog's Dogtoberfest
Schell's Octoberfest
Sam Adam's Octoberfest
Sarnac Oktoberfest

I picked up six packs of Autumn Ale from Breckenridge Brewing and Tabernash Brewing's Octoberfest the other day and expect to rate them shortly. Leinenkugel also has an Octoberfest that I've yet to try, but plan to soon. Prosit!

Item #3: Via the Funky Monkeys, I learn that Louisiana's Abita Brewing Company is coming out with a beer to help ease the pain of Hurricane Katrina:

Abita Beer's "Fleur-de-lis Restoration Ale"

We began crafting this new beer from the moment we saw our brewery had been miraculously spared any major damage from Hurricane Katrina. We are proud to be a Louisiana company and feel blessed that we are still able to produce our product and keep our employees working.

This golden ale brew should hit store shelves by mid October. For every six pack sold Abita Beer will donate $1 to the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation.


Drinking for a good cause. Charity doesn't get any better than that.

Item #4: The Minnesota Craft Brewer's Guild Autumn Brew Review Festival has been rescheduled:

The Minnesota Craft Brewer's Guild presents the 5th Annual Autumn Brew Review: A day devoted to beer.

Sat., Oct. 8, 1 - 7 p.m. (Note date change)
Peavey Plaza
1111 Nicollet Mall, Mpls.

For only $25, sample the finest craft ales, stouts, ambers and porters from over 30 Midwest brewers and the first 1500 attendees will receive a commemorative glass. In addition to the brews, see some great local bands and sample some tasty fare.


A day devoted to beer? Saturdays don't get any better than that.

Item #5: Town Hall Brewery in Minneapolis is celebrating their 8th Anniversary the week of October 24th-29th, culminating in an anniversary party on Saturday October 29th. Stop in and help them celebrate by hoisting a few of their excellent craft brews.

No comments:

Post a Comment