Friday, February 27, 2004

I Know You're An Emotional Girl

There was an interesting episode of the great new show The Apprentice on last night. In case you don't know the setup, the show revolves around two teams of young go-getters who are assigned projects by Donald Trump. The teams compete with each other and are assigned one of Trump's lieutenants to keep watch over them.

At the end of each episode, the team that wins is given immunity to stay living in the Trump Towers and play the next round. The team that loses must nominate three players to face Trump and his hench-people (one is a gal) in the boardroom for Trump to decide who will be fired.

The person who never gets fired at the end of this ordeal will be given a $250k a year job running one of Trump's concerns.

So anyway, last night the project was selling "Trump Ice," Donald's very own spring water. A woman led the losing team. At one point she completely lost her composure under pressure and starting yelling at her team members in front of their guardian. He was not impressed and told Trump as much.

When it came to the boardroom showdown it was this dame and two dudes who had also not pulled their weight, but had not lost their cool like she had. Tears immediately swelled in her eyes as Trump grilled her to explain why she lost.

Which leads me to my point (My God that was a long way to go for this point): I don't know about your workplace, but in mine the crying of female employees is commonplace. Not a week goes by that I don't see if not outright tears, at least the welling of the salty devils and hurried trips to the bathroom.

What sends these women into torrents of emotion? Whaddya got? They were criticized. They were asked to speak up in front of people they don't know very well. They are frustrated things aren't going perfectly on their projects. They think people are mean to them. You name it, they cry about it.

I've not shed one tear at work for any reason ever. It's about the furthest thing from my mind. I've wanted to throw down a few times and the Lord knows I've done my share of cussin', but crying? I can't even imagine a scenario in which I would cry at work, unless someone were to tell me John Kerry was elected President or something.

At the end of the show, Trump ceremoniously canned the woman. The reason he gave?

She was too emotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment