Monday, February 09, 2004

A Class Act

I admire Aussie Tim Blair for a lot of reasons. His masterful blogging, his advanced imbibing skills, his creation of the term “joke pinching she-beast” in regard to Molly Ivins. And now we can throw in the global reach of his correspondents. Today he’s got a report all the way from New York City. (Whereas we’re lucky if we get reports on the news in Maple Grove). It’s a beauty too, a first hand account of Rosie O’Donnell at a fundraiser for the Human Rights Campaign. Excerpt:

Rosie came to the podium to present an award to an esteemed magazine editor. This appearance was most definitely NOT about Rosie, yet she managed to transform it into an embarrassing, invective-laden diatribe.

Rosie: “How do I follow THAT? I know; I'll take out my right tit. Everyone take out their right tit.”

What?? Some embarrassed laughter, some audience rustling. China Scholar said, “What is she doing?” This time, it was Joe who was apoplectic. ”I knew this would be a mistake,” he said, sotto voce.” A huge mistake!” he repeated, less sotto this time. George said: “She's drunk.”

Then Rosie thrust both arms overhead, fists clenched Rocky-style, and said, “My f*ckin' lawsuit's over!”


To avoid embarrassing herself at future public appearances, I refer Rosie to the esteemed Dean of Faber College, Vernon Wormer, and his advice to a young student on how not to lead one’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment