Monday, February 23, 2004

There You Yo! Again

More from When Character Was King by Peggy Noonan. This excerpt regarding Reagan's daughter Patti Davis.

Noonan interviewed her for the book:

"Remember the book Black Like Me? When I was twelve I would have given my right arm to find that stuff and turn myself and my entire family black. I wanted to show solidarity with people I thought were oppressed and who in fact oppressed, and some still are. But I felt so guilty about being white and priviledged. I felt very guilty about it. I always felt...not deserving. Poor people too--I wanted to be one of them by showing my solidarity.

"I had this fantasy--I remember sitting out there in Arizona at the golf course, at my grandparents', sitting out there in the sun reading Black Like Me. I thought things would have been so much better if I could turn myself black and turn my whole family black."

No comments:

Post a Comment