Saturday, February 14, 2004

Listen. Do You Hear That? It's The Sound Of No One Giving A...

I had to borrow the line that Triumph used against those goofy French-Canadian separatists when I read this absolutely ridiculous comment made by Gopher Gal Hoopster Coach Pam Horton on Lindsay Whalen's recent injury that will end her basketball career:

“I think this is devastating for everyone involved in the program, from the fans to the [basketball] community to the state of Minnesota,’’ Borton said. “I think it’s a big blow for them.’’

Setting aside for a moment the delicious irony of her choice of words and the fact that I don't know what the hell The Basketball Community is, she thinks it is a big blow to the whole mother-loving state that this dame isn't going to be playing basketball anymore? WTF? Pam, babe, darling, sweetheart, most people in the state never knew you were playing in the first damn place!

Imagine a scene in Northern Minnesota where two working-class guys are in an ice house, downing beers, trying to forget about their wives at home and enjoying catching a few Northern Pike:

Guy One (sipping Schmidt Big Mouth): Yup
Guy Two: Yup
Guy One: D'ja see that Gopher basketball sensation Lindsay Whalen broke her hand and will be out for the season?
Guy Two: NO! NO! NO! Yer crappin' me!
Guy One: I'm crappin' you negative, her career is over
Guy Two: It can't be! My God what will we do now!
Guy One: I don't know this is a big blow for us
Guy Two: Indeed

No comments:

Post a Comment