Friday, February 13, 2004

Solitary Man

(Editor's note: This post was composed Wednesday evening)

Why is being alone such an undervalued privilege in our society today? To many, the notion that being by one's self is preferable to being with others is completely foreign. To me, it is a deeply ingrained part of my persona.

Tonight I sit in my hotel room, solo save for a couple of bottles of Bohemia lager, a good book, and the promise of room service on the way. And I could not be happier.

(The jaded business traveler will likely find this silly, but I still take a almost child-like delight in ordering room service. "Yeah, I want a club sandwedge, and French fries, and and...and a strawberry milkshake." And I'm gonna eat it on the bed while watching movies on TV. When you were eight years old it really didn't get any better, and I find simple joy in it even now.

Another nice feature of room service? When you're done you just chuck it out in the hall and someone comes by and cleans it up for you. Almost like Mom used to. )

Sure I could have partaken in another evening of dining and drinking with my co-workers at a fine local establishment here in Chihuahua. I could have enjoyed an enormous cut of premo beef with cheese smothered potatoes, and a smooth Creme Tequila for apres dinner. I could have joined in the frivolity and booze infused good cheer of the group. And these are not boors by any stretch of the imagination. They are intelligent, humorous people whose company I generally appreciate. But not tonight.

Tonight I HAD to be alone.

Part of this stems from my naturally reclusive personality, but an equal measure is a result of my schedule this week. Here is a typical "day in the life" of my life of late:

6:03am Awake to the polka-like beat of Mexican folk music on the clock radio

6:05am Commence to brewing coffee in the bathroom

6:08am Drink coffee while watching CNN International

6:25am Shower

6:35am-6:55am Get presentable while watching 'Starsky & Hutch' reruns

7:00am Grab bottle of juice and coffee from hotel's continental breakfast buffet and walk to plant

7:05am Arrive at plant and begin day filled with meetings, video conferences, phone calls, e-mails, one on one discussions, and about twenty seven cups of coffee

8:30am Eat breakfast at plant with co-workers

1:00pm Eat lunch at plant with co-workers

5:00pm Walk back to hotel

5:05pm Chill out in room and catch a little tele

5:30pm-6:15pm Work out in hotel exercise room

6:20pm Shower & get prettied up again

6:30pm Hit hotel bar for free (yes free!) happy hour with co-workers

7:30pm Head out to dinner with co-workers

10:00-10:30pm Return to hotel

10:30pm-??? Read and eventually fall asleep

Next day. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Time spent alone? Maybe three hours.

Time spent with others? Upwards of fourteen hours.

A night spent all by my lonesome? Priceless.

That's what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment