Friday, February 03, 2006

I Think He's Found What He's Looking For

Earlier this week rock and roller Bono addressed the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington DC. Upon seeing this excerpt of his remarks (I forget where), which seemed to denigrate the One, True Church:

Seeing what religious people, in the name of God, did to my native land ... and in this country, seeing God's second-hand car salesmen on the cable TV channels, offering indulgences for cash... in fact, all over the world, seeing the self-righteousness roll down like a mighty stream from certain corners of the religious establishment ...

I must confess, I changed the channel. I wanted my MTV.


I must confess, I was oiling up my Zippo and eyeing my pile of surplus Irish flags for a little demonstration of free speech, radical Islam style.

Thankfully, I took the time to investigate the full context of Bono's remarks. And upon further review, he didn't say anything all that offensive. Yes, he starts talking about forgiving foreign debt and allowing intellectual property rights to get ripped off, ideas that are likely to hurt his causes in the long run. And he hauls out the horror show word of Democratic rhetoric in this country when it comes to economic matters. Justice. (Ahhhh!)

But, all in all, this is one hell of a good speech. It's funny, poignant, and undeniably effective as a tool of persuasion. While I do not support his contention that the US should annually give 1% of the Federal budget to African relief. (My objections are based on the corrupting influence on individual charity, and the disconnect between observed suffering and change of heart and giving, caused by government assumption of responsibility. And of course the massive waste of resources and fraud inherent in any billion dollar government program). It does give one pause to consider what they are doing to address the suffering that exists in so much of this world. Excerpts follow, but I encourage you to read it all:

A number of years ago, I met a wise man who changed my life. In countless ways, large and small, I was always seeking the Lord's blessing. I was saying, you know, I have a new song, look after it... I have a family, please look after them ... I have this crazy idea ...

And this wise man said: stop.

He said, stop asking God to bless what you're doing.

Get involved in what God is doing - because it's already blessed.

Well, God, as I said, is with the poor. That, I believe, is what God is doing.

And that is what He's calling us to do.

I truly believe that when the history books are written, our age will be remembered for three things: the war on terror, the digital revolution, and what we did-or did not to-to put the fire out in Africa.

History, like God, is watching what we do.

Thank you. Thank you, America, and God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment