Monday, February 27, 2006

A Mouse In My House

I left the abode yesterday to meet a former co-worker for a drink and while I was out a friend of my wife's stopped by with a crib for us to borrow, husband in tow.

Apparently, upon seeing the various pictures of Reagan, Bush and Churchill (my wife made me take down the Pinochet shrine) on our fridge along with the NRA accoutrement about the place he grew quite agitated and was not afraid to tell my wife what he thought of our (my) politics.

She tried to handle the situation by noting that these kinds of discussions were not appropriate for people who don't really know each other and since I wasn't there to defend myself, perhaps he should just drop it.

But it sounds like he just couldn't. He told her that he felt it was some kind of leftist duty to tell give every conservative he encountered The What For. He was going to Speak Truth To Power, even if that power was just (an absent) middle class cubicle dweller and his pregnant wife.

I guess this little anecdote should not come as a surprise to any conservatives who have been in these type of situations before. It seems to happen to me quite a bit where I'm having a conversation that has NOTHING to do with politics (I have a life you know) and someone just can't help but throw out some leftist drivel as if it were common knowledge.

My first response is always to ignore what they said and hope they shut up. But often they won't and then I'm forced to say a little something, which often turns into a little something more and pretty soon we've got a nice little conversation fracas going.

Personally, I never bring up "politics" unless I'm sure the people I'm talking to are on my side and even then I try to avoid the topic. Decorum is part of it, but a bigger reason is the discussions are often dreadfully boring--I mean have you MET half the MOB members?

For whatever reason a lot of lefties just can't keep it to themselves, so it's probably best for all that I wasn't around yesterday. But it sure would have been interesting...

1 comment:

  1. Super website with a great sharing and amazing stories is ur web.. please keep doing what u do now.. thanks to you.
    Agen Bandarq
    Agen Domino99
    Domino Online
    Agen Poker
    Bandar Domino99
    fb

    ReplyDelete