Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Mr. Nicolle Goes To Washington

Swiftee brings our attention to a very worthy cause:

Nicolle is a straight "A" student...as in maintaining a 4.0 average throughout her schooling type straight "A". When she's not hitting the books for herself, she helps her classmates hit theirs as a student tutor after school.

And on most Saturdays you can find Nicolle at the library doing some free-lance tutoring; no I'm not kidding.

Well, enough from me, here's Nicolle's story in her own words:

My name is Nicolle Birch and I am a sophomore at Henry Sibley High School in Mendota Heights. I have been nominated to represent my school and the state at the National Young Leaders Conference to be held this summer in Washington, D.C.

The Conference brings high school students from around the country who have demonstrated academic achievement as well as leadership abilities to participate in an interactive program of the inner workings of the nation?s government.

This will be a powerful experience, enabling me to interact with many prominent men and women whom most people only read about in the papers and see on television.

Attending this one-in-a-lifetime opportunity will enable me to develop my leadership skills and reach my career goals. I will learn about the internal workings of the national government first hand.

Imagine if you have been given this opportunity for a life-changing experience when you were in high school and were unable to participate for lack of funds. That is why I am writing to you today.

My participation in the Conference depends on whether I can raise $2,185 for tuition and $450 for the plane ticket to and from the Conference.

My tuition must be paid for by March 3rd.

After I send in my money for tuition I will receive a press release to give to newspapers which will talk about my nomination, the events at the conference and a list of sponsors.

Your support for my sponsorship request would be greatly appreciated.

What Nicolle failed to mention is that just 350 students are selected to attend this conference nationwide.

As I mentioned, her dad is a disabled vet. He cannot come up with this on his own, and although he wasn't really pleased, he has allowed me to make this bleg on behalf of his daughter.

I wish you could all meet this young woman in person because you'd have your wallets out before you knew what you were doing, but that's not possible.

So I'm asking you please, pull out your wallets anyway.

The Birch's don't have internet access, so please send Nicolle a hard copy check at the following address:

Nicolle Birch
c/o Paul Birch
697 Stryker Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55107

No comments:

Post a Comment