Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Legal Matter Baby

Permit me to don my Andy Rooney "Easily Confused Curmudgeon" fedora for a moment and indulge in some petty bitchin' about a matter that has little significance in the broader picture of life. Hard to believe the crotchety SOB made a career out of such grousing, isn't it?

My problem is with paper. Legal paper to be precise. Why in this fast-paced world of I-Pods, TiVo, high-speed internet, DVRs, one-click ordering, HDTV, file-sharing, PDFs, and wireless this and wireless that, do we still insist on using legal paper (8 1/2" x 14") for things like mortgages and loans? I understand that the law talking elite might prefer to use a legal pad for scribblin' their notes and doodling, but why must the rest of us, the folks, be forced to deal with documents designed for the shyster set?

Everything in my office at home; binders, file folders, hanging folders, file drawers, and the fireproof safe is set up to store the standard, widely-accepted and used 8" x 11" documents. So when I get handed a stack of important legal papers at the bank and wish to preserve them for posterity's sake, I'm forced to fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate them in order to get them to fit. What's the deal with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment