Monday, February 20, 2006

Oh Shuddupa Ya Face

Sitting in mass yesterday one of the songs included the lines "Slow to anger..." referring to God's graces. I thought that was a good thing to remember in Being A Good Person, so I sat pondering it for a few minutes.

Then the homily began and the FREAKING IDIOT BEHIND ME WOULD NOT SHUTUP! Slow to anger? I was at a boiling point within 30 seconds.

He was helping his bratty five year old with a crossword puzzle at normal conversational volume while our priest is attempting to save our ever lovin' souls.

I gave a couple of "Stink eye" looks back but he was oblivious. My wife could tell that I was getting incensed and tried to calm me but it wasn't helping much. After about 5 minutes I just kind of turned around and laughed since it was so outrageous what the dipshit was doing.

Church is about the last place you want to get into it with anybody but I had visions of grabbing the guy by his cotton sweater and dragging him out to the parking lot for a thorough thrashing. Just thinking about it made me feel somewhat better.

He finally stopped but I couldn't help but think of something my dear Mother said years ago "Kids do not have to be constantly entertained". That was at the essence of what was happening with the guy I think. Lord forbid his five year old brat should have to sit for an hour and not have any fun. Nope, he had to be entertained and dad was just the one to do it--at full volume.

And while I'm on this rant, let me point out two more annoyances regarding kids in church: 1. No cheerios in a little bag for crying out loud. The spoilt little crap can't go without treats for an hour? Please. 2. No laying on the pew, looking around, bugging people. You will stand, sit or kneel at the appointed times like an adult if you can walk. Simple as that.

It's really stunning how much has changed in even 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment