Tuesday, November 11, 2003

I Love This Spar

Great little piece in today's Star-Trombone about the already-heating-up rivalry atwixed our Wild! and the hated Vancouver Canucks.

In last week's matchup the chief punk on that Syracuse, or rather Vancouver team Jarkko Ruutu broke Chris Brandner's nose with a nasty elbow--an offense he was not even penalized for. The Finnish Flake then challenged non-fighter Sergei Zholtok to go and landed several lefts on his not-often-battered mug. Punk.

In today's paper Ruutu claims that Zholtok challenged him. "He asked to go. I asked him first and then he asked me back...I don't really care." Not backing down, Sergei shot back "I didn't ask him to go. But if he asks me to go again, I will." Attaboy.

The problem here is that Rutuu is breaking one of the unwritten codes of the NHL: the guys who don't fight (they all know who they are) shouldn't be asked to go by someone who does. Pretty simple. Wild defenseman Brad Brown explains:

"Brad May (Vancouver heavyweight) I respect him a lot. May, he will fight anyone. He's a fair player. He will ask you to fight and if you don't want to he will let it go. But Rutuu, I'd like to see him fight someone tough. He'll turtle in a second."

May himself (who fought Brown twice in the last matchup) was asked about the game:

Reporter: game tomorrow? Brown: "Of course there's a game tomorrow. There's going to be about four more fights and I'm going to be in two of them."

How can you not love this game? 7 pm tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment