Wednesday, October 22, 2003

500,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong

I've received some interesting email about the chain restaurants and there sucking/non-sucking status. One thoughtful writer, Cathy, told of numerous bad experiences at Applebee's in numerous cities across this great country. I've no doubt (so to speak) of those experiences and I also have no doubt James has had bad experiences at the jernt as well.

But, if those situations were the rule rather than the exception then very simply Applebee's would be out of business. Boarded up. Closed down. Marge would never again be able to remark "An alligator with sunglasses? Now I've seen everything!" People don't keep going back for bad food and bad service--even people in fly-over country who drive trucks and shop at Walmart. The only way the logic of the Applebee's Sucks Crowd can work is to state that Applebee's food indeed is crap, but the hicks don't know no better.

Cathy said people tell her that in some places there aren't as many choices, so they HAVE to go to Applebee's. To which I say where? Every trip I make to the burbs shows chain restaurant after chain restaurant competing head-to-head for the lunch and dinner business of those who watch at least one prime time network television show (for me it's King Of Queens).

Now, if there were evidence that Applebee's as a corporation were floundering, then the Applebee's Sucks Crowd's argument would have more credibility. But I don't think it is. And it's not some personal favorite of mine by any means (but I've always had decent food there). The proof of Applebee's being a "Good" restaurant is not in my experience or in Cathy's or in James'--it's in the market. And the market she don't lie.

It's kind of like Britney Spears. I'm not a huge fan and I don't buy her CD's, but people don't buy stuff that they think sucks. It may not be your (or my) idea of "talent" but the evidence of millions of records sold is evidence enough of talent--be it dancing talent, singing talent or production talent. I've never understood people that insist that pop divas have no "talent".

What about Starbucks? I've met plenty of people who insist their coffee is undrinkable. Fine. But that doesn't mean that the millions of people who enjoy it every day are wrong, or stupid. Starbucks success is all the evidence you need that they have a good product.

No comments:

Post a Comment