Thursday, October 16, 2003

Running Dog Yankee Imperialists

I can't speak for the rest of the crew here at Fraters, but I can assure King from the SCSUScholars that at least I am pulling for the Red Sox tonight. This despite the fact that Pedro is petulant punk and Manny is a malingering multi-millionaire (for once in your life run it out man!).

Yesterday while I was shopping at Target a woman standing nearby ended her cell phone conversation, turned to me, and asked, "Did you know there's no salary cap in baseball?".

Not exactly the type of small talk you expect when you're looking for eye drops. I let her know that I was aware of that state of affairs without going into details about revenue sharing, "luxury taxes", etc.

"But that means the Yankees can spend way more than anyone else."

I nodded to indicate that indeed it was true.

"But that's not fair."

I resisted the urge to dust off the "life's not fair" line that I've heard over and over again through the years, beginning in first grade. While it is a truism it doesn't do much to placate one's feelings that they're getting screwed.

"How can I watch baseball when it's so unfair?", she whined.

"That's what makes it fun to cheer against the Yankees", I offered, also explaining that while the Red Sox payroll wasn't quite at the level of the Yankees, they weren't exactly shopping at St. Vincent De Paul either.

"I still don't think it's fair."

No, it's probably not fair. But now it's down to one game and in one game anything can happen.

Go Red Sox.

No comments:

Post a Comment