Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Thought For Food

I read an interesting line the other day by a local, nationally-known blogger. He was telling the story of how he went to a chain restaurant (Fridays, I think) and how the service was good but the food was terrible.

A bad experience I can understand; it's happened to me too. But to say that categorically the food is dreadful?

I see and hear this a lot: The Chains Suck. I guess I don't quite understand what these critics mean by this. I'm not a huge fan of Fridays and their ilk, but the food is awful? There's not one item on the menu that you would enjoy eating? They make bad hamburgers? Bad chicken breasts? If you ordered you some chicken wings they would be disgusting? Hmmm....

It may not be your favorite place to go, but is it really that awful or is this just another snobbish diss of American Culture that doesn't pass the (blooming onion) smell test?

Or, perhaps Laura Ingraham's constant chatter about "elites" has me all fired up.

Either way.

1 comment: