Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Conservatives Read Books?

John Hawkins at Right Wing news has yet another survey of right-of-center bloggers. This time it's The Books That Have Had The Biggest Impact On Their Thinking . Nine of the seventeen choices that I sent in made the final cut. But I was a bit surprised by some of the books on the list.

While I like to listen to Rush on the radio as much as the next right-wing nutbag, I can't imagine citing one of his books for this survey. The other somewhat disturbing trend was the number of sci-fi tomes that rated mention. While I enjoyed reading the LOTR trilogy as much as the next comic book guy, I can't say it really influenced my thinking. And while The Chronicles of Narnia was a imaginative masterpiece with an important message, I can think of three or four other works by C.S. Lewis that I would add to the list first. How about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress ? C'mon people. Conservatives have enough of an image problem in the popular culture without having to put a neon sign up over our heads blaring, 'GEEKS-R-US'.

No comments:

Post a Comment