Friday, October 31, 2003

If Ya Think Hugh's Sexy And You Want His Body Come On Baby Let Him Know

So I'm listening to Hugh last night and I hear some chippee singing lounge tunes as the bumper music. "Who's the dame?" I think to myself as I turn the dial to AM 1500. Ahh...just kidding.

After all, Hugh is "Filling The Gap" as the Patriot ads say. The ads seem to imply that he is not excelling, or even doing decent work--he's just a stop gap until KSTP gets someone else, at which point all of the former Jason Lewis listeners will turn back. Hugh--I suggest having a little talk with the not-yet-suffering-enough what's-his-name about this campaign.

So anyway, the music. Turns out it's Rod "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" Stewart. Hugh then said "Rod Stewart is to music as Hugh Hewitt is to radio: classic."

I wonder if Hugh and Rod have always been so closely tied in their careers. When Rod was seducing America's teens with "Tonight's The Night" or preening about with "Hot Legs" was Our Hugh such a fan? Now we don't know if Hugh used to have a wild side (what happens in The Yard stays in The Yard) but I doubt he was ever as wild as these Hot Legs lyrics:

Got the most persuasive tongue
You promise all kinds of fun
But what you don't understand
I'm a working man
Gonna need a shot of vitamin E
By the time you're finished with me
I'm talking to you
Hot legs, you're an alley cat
Hot legs, you scratch my back
Hot legs, bring your mother too
I love you honey


For some reason I don't see Our Hugh rocking out to such a ditty after law school class.

But I guess Hugh can appreciate the more sophisticated Rod Stewart and his new style, although critics seem to be a tad hostile (from Rolling Stone):

In his golden age (which, granted, ended thirty years ago), Stewart sang with great musicians, such as guitarists Jeff Beck and Ron Wood, guys who weren't afraid to make him work. Here, on chestnuts such as "It Had to Be You," "You Go to My Head" and "These Foolish Things," he sings against syrupy, obvious orchestral arrangements, driven by a beat that sometimes seems on the verge of a nap -- all of which encourages Stewart's worst habits: He sounds lazy, glib and uninvolved, just the opposite of when he still mattered.

Getting over the nonsense about "mattering" it's a pretty good description of what I heard last night. And when Fred Beetle Barnes is about to rock the house, you want something that is going to get the blood pumping. I noticed that Hugh also uses Eric Johnson music for some bumpers (which leads me to believe that Duane may be a guitar-head). So I say stick to that and the Lindsay Buckingham (what is Lileks' song? "I Think I Like Hummels"?)

1 comment: