Friday, October 24, 2003

A Little A' Dis, A Little A' Dat

First: e-mails.

N.M. writes in a with slight clarification on the origins of a quote I used in a post on my experience as an audience member at the taping of Jesse Ventura's America:

While this quote, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt," may have been said by Twain or Lincoln, is really just a paraphrase of Proverbs 17:28.

Nice call N.M. Here is the verse he speaks of:

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise:
and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.


Who says our readers are drooling, thick-skulled, knuckle draggers? Besides Saint Paul I mean.

Meanwhile long time reader P.H. asks why a particular beer didn't merit mention in my post on seasonal drinking:

I was surprised to see that you missed Anchor Steam from your post. In my opinion it is even better than either Sierra or Summit.

I used to think that Anchor Steam was a great beer. I also used to think Boston was a great band. Thankfully my tastes in music and beer have matured and I've discovered that there's a whole lot more out there than stale classic rock and vastly overrated, mediocre beer. I will grant you that a well poured glass of Anchor Steam from a well maintained tap is pretty tasty. But the last time I cracked open a bottle of the stuff I was very disappointed. Maybe it was because I had high expectations that weren't realized. Maybe it was because Smokin' was playing on the bar's jukebox.

Next: trivia.

Another Thursday night. Another trivia championship at Keegan's pub. This despite the efforts of Atomizer to break away from the Fraters family and launch his own trivia team. Like Andrew Ridgley's solo career after Wham!, Atomizer's attempt met with abject failure and was the subject of much ridicule. But we are a generous and forgiving people, and will welcome our humbled prodigal son back into the fold.

And, as strange as it may sound, we are getting weary of recounting our weekly trivia triumphs. How times can you write of the sweet taste of victory and the joy in seeing your opponents brought to their knees, begging for mercy? Apparently quite a few judging by the number of posts we've had on the subject. But what more needs to or can be said? Nada. So instead of a wordy recap, we're merely going to add a Martini glass to the margin on the left side of the page after each new championship is won. Like banners hanging from the rafters, these glasses will represent our impressive string of titles and the storied history of our organization.

Next: a shameless plug.

My uncle and JB's writing mentor (he's still waiting for that report on risk management Doubtless) has just had a book published called Bloody Good: Chivalry, Sacrifice, and the Great War. I quickly perused it today and it appears to be a very interesting read. Be the first on your block (or perhaps even in your state) to own a copy.

Finally: a request.

Every year my wife and I host a Halloween party. And for the last three years I've endeavored to come up with creative and refreshing cocktails appropriate for the occasion. So far I've been about as successful as Alfonso Soriano in the post season. I've tried a number of ghoulish concoctions and only two have been even close to drinkable. And of course I have no idea how to recreate those drinks as I tossed the formulas. So I'm looking for a killer cocktail and I'm open for suggestions. In the past I've surfed the net for recipes and that has been the source for most of the less then memorable mixes. I'm looking for more than a good name and a cool look. It has to be tasty. If you've got any ideas drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment