Sunday, January 25, 2004

Dennis Anyone?

In anticipation of his return to television, several news outlets have been giving comedian Dennis Miller’s comments increased attention. While reading this AP piece on the man, I was struck by the following statement (which reminded me of something that I read earlier this year on a “deservedly obscure blog”):

"Nine-11 changed me," (Miller) said. "I'm shocked that it didn't change the whole country, frankly."

When he was a SNL regular, I was always under the impression that Miller’s political views resided on the left end of the spectrum. I can’t point to any specific comments of his that led me to this impression. I guess I just always assume that any given television or film personality is a leftie until their words or actions lend credence to the contrary. It appears that I may have been right in this case. It also appears that the events of 9/11 gave Dennis a reason to rethink his positions and, I think it’s safe to say, he is not alone in his transformation.

Reading on, we find that Miller also has a refreshingly candid opinion of his own qualifications as a commentator:

"I don't have credibility, I'm a comedian," he said. "I'm not Ed Murrow up on the roof in a London fog reporting on the blitz."

The man seems to know where he stands and he suffers no delusions about his own importance. I’m betting that we will never have to hear Miller whining about being taken out of context. I’m also betting that he’ll never stoop so low as to suggest that unnatural acts involving the Pope qualify as comedy.

Finally, we get to this gem that brilliantly sums up Miller’s philosophy:

"If two gay guys want to get married, I couldn't care less," he said. "It's their business. If some foreigner wants to blow their wedding up, I want my government to eliminate him."

Bravo!

Dennis Miller’s new CNBC show premieres tomorrow at 8 PM CT. I, for one, will be watching just to see the monkey:

Miller wanted a simian presence, believing a monkey occasionally scampering across the studio floor will keep both guests and viewers on their toes, he said.

Dr. Monkeystein, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment