Sunday, January 25, 2004

That's Entertainment?

From today's Boston Globe:

Anti-Flag, whose Death of a Nation tour comes to Avalon tomorrow, has been following a mission of speaking out about politics since Sane formed the band with longtime friend and current drummer Pat Thetic in high school in 1994. Back then, they were riled up about the first Gulf War and found an outlet for their anger with fierce lyrics, furious guitars, and a punishing beat.

Fierce lyrics.

Fierce. Linebackers are fierce. Green Berets are fierce. A woman scorned is fierce. I prefer lyrics to be described in ways that would not fit any of the above like: sharp, witty or incisive. Fierce?

Furious guitars.

Furious.

The guitars are so pissed off that their teenage angst just spills out into the record. Yeah, I really want to hear what some snotty brat's guitars sound like because they are upset their parents are divorced.

A punishing beat.

Punishing.

"You've been a very bad listener. And now you will be punished. Take this. And this. And one of these."

Fierce, furious and punishing. I'll remind you that the review is saying that these are qualities you will enjoy in this (or any recording).

Well sign me up! Maybe the CD comes with some type of self-flaggelating implement to whip myself or something so I can REALLY enjoy myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment