Friday, January 16, 2004

The Odds, Getting Even

Late, late last night, I was still basking in the glow of the Fraters' unprecedented 4th straight trivia victory in the intellectually rigorous tournament run by Keegan's and just beginning my slide into blissful slumber. Then, suddenly (Susan), I had the jarring revelation that one SHOULD hit on a soft-17 if the dealer is showing a six. It's a counterintuitive move, but the odds that he's going to bust are high, regardless of what your cards are. Therefore, a risk free attempt to improve your hand should be undertaken.

For a moment, a pang of conscience arose and I thought: maybe I shouldn't have shouted "you're f*cking wrong, you g-d*mn *sshole" at Man from Silver Mountain, who had made the case for the hit (inarticulate as it might have been) in a side conversation during the trivia challenge.

My next thought was: naaaah, he deserved it for claiming the Fembots were from Buck Rodgers. (The truth, of course, is that they were on the Bionic Woman.)

Needless to say with my mind at ease, sweet dreams were mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment