Thursday, January 29, 2004

What Might Have Been

With my man James Lileks substitute hosting for Hugh Hewitt today, I’m prepared to call in and help out, just in case his witty, literate, culture soaked repartee was falling on deaf ears with the existing audience. First segment had no calls at all, so I figured my assistance was necessary. An hour later I’m still getting nothing but busy signals. Although my points about Al Sharpton aren’t really that brilliant (they’re only moderately brilliant), my inability to get through has caused much irritation. I haven’t had this much phone related misery since my unsuccessful attempts back in high school to be the 100th caller at KDWB and get front row Ratt tickets at Met Center.

Redial. bzbzbz Redial. bzbzbz Redial. bzbzbz

I had the idea of live blogging my attempts to get through to the show and then realized I’m at home with a dial up, thus preventing any telephony related multi tasking. So the immediacy of this post (and my goodwill) has been sqandered and with it the possible Instapundit link. Hell, this isn't even good enough for a PunditFilter Link.

Damn you Ed from Chicago! Your Sharpton point is cliched and you sound hate-filled. You’re Brian Lambert’s wet dream of a conservative caller. Worse yet, you’re delaying my departure for the evening.

You see, I have MY OWN radio show to do tonight. I don’t want to go into specifics (my non-compete clause would kick in and once again the Elder would be garnishing my wages for 3 months). Let’s just say in order to hear it, you have to be blind or have REALLY solid connections with the influential visual handicap lobby at the legislature. One more thing, you have to have in interest in dressing well. Yes, that’s right, I do a show about “men’s style” for people who can’t see. Talk about low expectations. I’m thinking about renaming the show “Sighted Eyes for the Blind Guys” but I fear I may be blowing expectations far out of proportion to what these poor bastards deserve on the let down side. They hear that name and they might think I have the ability to describe what “blue” looks like.

Redial. bzbzbz Redial. bzbzbz Redial. bzbzbz

Now Lileks is talking about zinc and sniffing glue with Generlisimo. Don’t they know a member of the Northern Alliance is trying to get through! Clear the decks! Clear the decks!

One more try....

It’s over. I’ve done my best, but I guess my best wasn’t good enough. I wish you the best James - despite the fact you’re not going to be able to use THIS:

Al Sharpton is a shady character on a lot of accounts and his past history in the political (and judicial) realm is shameful. But .... (see, bloggers always have buts, typical talk radio callers never do; but maybe that’s for the best since there are no second acts in American talk show calls.) But, the issue comes down to the fact that there are no other prominent blacks willing to run for President. And no, Carol Mosely Braun doesn’t count. The black community is a very important constituency for the Democrats, and they rightfully feel some ownership over the nomination process. Sharpton is there to raise questions particular to the black community that Kerry, Dean, et al. won’t or can’t. The Democratic establishment’s acceptance of Sharpton on an equal footing with legitimate candidates is an acknowledgment of this fact. And in the grand scheme of things, I think it’s justified.

If a legitimate black candidate would have run as a Democrat (Jesse Jackson Sr. or Jr., Colin Powell, former Gov. Wilder of Virginia), Sharpton wouldn’t have run. Not because of some altruistic stepping aside gesture, instead because he’d know that the Democratic establishment would then have a preferable black representative (and racial conscience) to focus on.

Final point - Sharpton is a fool in politics, but he’s an excellent preacher (Derbyshire at NRO has written about this). Furthermore, he legitimately cares for the well being of his people. And for that alone, he gets my respect.

And that’s why Al Sharpton is taken seriously. James, I now leave you to George in Phoenix, who’s making the insightful point that Sharpton is stupid and the Democrats take him seriously because they’re stupid too.

No comments:

Post a Comment