Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Exercising My Franchise

I just got done voting and boy is my hand tired. Writing in Scott Johnson no less than twenty-two times in various judicial races (and Jim Styczinski for three soil and water conservation posts) was a chore. But the extra time in the booth was well worth it. My voice has been heard. And I wish to remind those surly souls behind me in line giving me the stink-eye for spending a few extra minutes on my numerous write-in choices, that this is what our democracy is all about it. If I want to make a complete mockery of the judicial election process, then by God that's my right as an American, and you better believe that I'm going to enjoy it to the fullest. Anything else would be unpatriotic.

It's a drizzly, gray day here in the Twin Cities so far. I walked the seven blocks to my polling place this morning and pulled up in line at 6:55am (polls open at 7am). By 7:40am I was sporting my spiffy red "I Voted" sticker, the eighty-third voter to pull the lever in my precinct. Turnout appeared to be decent, but not overwhelming. Not many people registering at the polls either, which I take as a good sign.

Best of all, there were no idiots waving signs on the way in, and Moveon.org was notable absent (despite the promise to have reps on hand). Saint Paul will be heartened to hear that I observed no egregious violations of election law other than a couple of folks sporting Kerry buttons inside the polling place.

The question of the day of course is who will be our next president. The national average price for a gallon of gas is $2.02 (although under $2 a gallon here in Minnesota) and the Dow closed at 10,0054 yesterday, which means that according to my pocketbook indicators, the race is a toss up.

Last January, when the entire Northern Alliance gathered with our Dear Leader for lunch, he asked us to make predictions on the election. While my prognosis was not as irrationally exuberant as Hugh's (he even gave California to Bush), I did end up with Bush tallying 340 electoral votes to Kerry's 198, and the GOP gaining three senate seats.

Eleven months later, I'm still giving it to W, although the gap is much narrower. The way I see it now, Bush will collect 281 electoral votes and Kerry 257. The popular vote will go for Bush 51% to 48%. And a net gain of two senate seats for the GOP, one of them being Daschle's (oh will that be a sweet victory). My heart says that Bush will win Minnesota, but my head says turnout in the Twin Cities will keep it in the Democratic column by the narrowest of margins. I'm afraid those of us in the Gopher State face another four years of apologizing. Well, at least we have a lot of practice.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a loner writing withering social commentary in my underpants. Get out to the polls yourself and see what the fuss is all about. And if you live in Minnesota, remember to write-in Scott Johnson in any and all of those judicial races with only one candidate. Minnesota needs the "Big Trunk of Justice", now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment