Sunday, November 21, 2004

Mailbag

Tim from Colorado disagrees with my views on Target and the Salvation Army:

What is with you this week? First it was the cats and now the Salvation Army?

Is it really that hard to part with your pocket change? That's all they're asking for.

I'm with Hugh on this one. And as a Den Leader, I bypass United Way and give directly to the BSA.

My dad belongs to Optimists International. His Optimist Club volunteered to help the Salvation Army ring bells and collect donations every year, which meant that I was volunteered to help as well. So maybe I have a little more empathy for them. But I also remember the Salvation Army was the first organization to help out at Ground Zero.

Tell you what, the next time I pass a Salvation Army kettle, I'll toss in a little for you too.


I'll give them much more than pocket change if they just approach me in the proper manner.

James from Folsom, CA has my back on the matter:

I thought Hugh was/is a little overwrought on the Target - Salvation Army Kerfuffle as well. Last week, I was walking into the Mall of America via Sears and the second floor walkway and there was the Salvation Army lady at the other end of the walkway ringing her bell. (hmm, that sounds,...).

Have you ever listened to that bell in one of the MOA walkways? You don't know annoying until you've made that long walk. And lord have mercy on the poor Sears employees who work at the register just inside that door. One of them is bound to come out there one day and go all baby seal on her ass.


Rick wishes to share his own United Way story:

I haven't given to the United Way since at least 1988, out of principle. Fortunately, my current employer doesn't use the brownshirted tactics that were exercised at a small privately held company I once worked for. I stopped filling out my United Way card back in 1996 or so, when I realized the purpose of filling out the card was their way of quilting me into donating. Actually, the weird thing was they were more concerned about my filling out that little card than they were my actually giving anything. Once I was actually offered money to sign and turn in a card (I refused). What they spent to achieve 100% participation I don't know, but I would bet if they just gave the money they used on the campaign to charity, everyone would have been ahead.

What really set me against United Way was how some individuals would use the Campaign to ingratiate themselves to management. Guys that wouldn't spit on head if your hair was on fire, were waltzing around in $30 united way shirts, just to the show the boss how committed they were. I wouldn't be surprised that my non-participation had a lot to do with my career stalling there.

Like you, I do my share outside of United Way. By United Way standards, way more than my share.


Finally, Daniel has a minor quibble with my plans for Osama coming back to the US:

How about multiple plastic bags?

Okay with me. As long as his head is in one of them. Intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment