Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Reality Bites?

The honeymoon is over. I mean this literally, of course. The lovely Atomizerette and I returned home from our post-nuptial jaunt to San Francisco a few days ago and it sure didn't take long for our lives to drift back into the realm of the mundane.

For eight wonderful days I enjoyed the exclusive company of the love of my life as we roamed from the vineyards of Napa Valley to the vibrant piers of Fisherman's Wharf with not a care in the world aside from deciding where we would be stopping to dine next. Last night I spent two hours with three checkbooks and a stack of receipts trying to figure out how and when we are going to pay that vacation off.

Just over a week ago I was floating high above Sonoma Valley in the small wicker basket of a hot air balloon with the most beautiful girl in the world. Yesterday I spent close to three hours replacing a worn out dryer duct.

Three days ago I was at the Gordon Biersch Brewery in the shadows of the San Francisco Bay Bridge enjoying a frosty Marzen and a reuben with the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. Today I was back at the office reviewing urgent bid documents and invoices that sat untouched on my desk for nearly two weeks.

Ten months of wedding planning have ended and we are no longer "the couple about to get married". We're now just another married couple with bills to pay, chores to do and jobs to perform day after day after day after day. No more showers to attend. No more gifts to open. No more invitations to mail. No more pictures to pose for. We're just Ben and Janelle...forever. And I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment