Sunday, November 14, 2004

It Ain't All Bad

The latest (and probably last) round of reader reaction to my one fingered victory salute. Not everyone felt the hate.

Let's start with Michael from Omaha:

After the election I took a break from my favorite blogs - I was suffering from political-exhaustion. But I just read your one finger salute post, and I really couldn't agree more. I think you guys need to be doing more good work like that - maybe then I won't neglect you for upwards of a week. Keep it up.

Got that Atomizer? More heated outbursts, less mash notes to your wife.

Glen from Phantom Of The Blog in Scottsdale, AZ lends his support as well.

Steve from Grand Forks raises an interesting point:

Just saw the one-fingered salute news. I know the feeling.

But I feel constrained (I'm the sort of guy who can't stand that every MSM reporter reports that the Iraqi kidnap victims are "kneeling" before their captors and before their beheadings, while running video or photos of the poor souls sitting) to point out the logical, anatomical, numerological and personal inconsistency between the two imperatives: "Go f*** yourself," and "F*** you."

I'm not prepared to develop an answer to the conundrum.


And neither am I. It's one for the ages.

We continue with David from Pittsburgh:

Why is it only "hate" when it comes from us? You were not expressing feelings of hatred, you were just releasing pent-up anger. That sort of thing is actually quite healthy. Those rebuttals from the individuals with whom I have the misfortune of sharing a first name are turning the debate into a game of "I know you are, but what am I?"

And one need not be angry to be accused of hatred. A dozen years past, a co-worker of mine was shocked to learn that I listened to Rush Limbaugh. "Dave," he said, "are you a hater?" Now what the heck does that mean? At the time, I knew of Rush as a funny guy on the radio with whom I shared many views on politics and current events. Suddenly, I had someone accusing me of the worst sort of thought crimes while suggesting that I didn't have a thought in my head that had not originated with words spoken into the golden EIB microphone. Finally, "Is he your hero?" Gimme a freaking break. No one should treat the concept of heroism so casually. When someone rescues me from a burning building, or sacrifices his/her life to rescue myself and others, then that person will be my hero.

I was only working at a book shop then. Today I work at a university library. I have no desire to discuss elections, politics, or personal philosophies with my wonderful co-workers, the epitome of, as you say, "the tolerant and open-minded left that we've come to know and love." Their brand of tough love might just be a bit too heavy to take.


Finally, an anonymous "fan" in California writes:

Hi there! thanks for the site... confirms my suspicions that the American Right has gone zonkers! you guys are certifiably insane!

Still Love ya.... bye
(yer hero o'reilly...the one with a dildo up his ass...he's funny too!)


For the record, our views on Bill O'Reilly are not exactly fawning.

No comments:

Post a Comment