Wednesday, November 03, 2004

It's A Beautiful Day

The sun is shining. The air is fresh. And George W. Bush has been re-elected.

I stayed up until nearly 4:30am last night waiting in vain for closure. This morning I flipped on Fox News at around 11am to see that the victory was official. Damn it feels good.

We've been having issues with Blogger today, which explains the lack of updates. I took the day off work and went for a walk shortly after noon. I was able to catch John Kerry's concession speech on NPR and thought it was quite good. Last night, I was a bit perturbed that the Kerry campaign refused to concede when it was obvious that they had no chance, but at least he came to his senses today and realized that dragging this out would only harm the nation. For that he does deserve some credit. He was classy in defeat and did not come across as bitter. And he showed some touches of humanity that were often missing in the campaign.

On the other hand, I was very unimpressed with John Edwards. When I hear him talking about two Americas, steel mills, union halls, and minority children not being able to do what other children can, I wonder if he realizes that it's 2004, not 1964. His message seems out of touch and, after his lackluster performance in the campaign, I question whether he has any chance in 2008.

Bush and Cheney just finished their victory remarks. Short, simple, and rather mundane. Not that I was really expecting much. After all, victory tends to speak for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment