Friday, June 11, 2004

Nice Job Eh?

Canadians should be proud of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney's eloquent words today at Ronald Reagan's state funeral. Following Maggie Thatcher is a thankless task, and he performed it admirably. Great pipes too. Has he considered a career in radio?

SAINT PAUL ADDS: I agree on Mulroney, a fine job. Particularly the ending, some elegant verse by W.B. Yeats. From the poem "In the Municipal Gallery Re-visited"

Think where man's glory most begins and ends
And say my glory was I had such friends.


Lines which, coincidently, were also featured in a poignant scene in the Seinfeld episode entitled "The Deal":

Elaine: Oh, what is this? You got me something?

Kramer: Yeah. Open it.

Elaine: Oh Kramer... (She opens it) The bench! You got me the bench that I wanted! (Jerry looks irritated)

Kramer: That's pretty good, huh?

Jerry: Great.

Kramer: Remember when we were standing there and she mentioned it? I made a mental note of it.

Jerry: Well goody for you.

Kramer: Oh yeah, I'm very sensitive about that. I mean, when someone's birthday comes up, I keep my ears open. So what'd you get her?

Jerry: 182 bucks.

Kramer: Cash? You gotta be kidding. What kind of gift is that? That's like something her uncle would get her.

Elaine: (Reading card) Think where man's glory most begins and ends and say my glory was I had such a friend.

Kramer: (To Jerry) Yeats.

Elaine: Oh Kramer. (They embrace)


THE ELDER ADDS: What is this? Power Line? Where are all the pageant pictures and George Will columns?

1 comment: