Friday, June 04, 2004

The Sweet Smell of Success

Last night's trivia victory at Keegan's was a little extra special since the pub's manager and trivia night master of ceremonies, Marty had promised an extra round of free drinks to any team that could dethrone us as champions. Of course when we once again crushed all opposition and successfully defended our title, Marty was forced to buy us drinks. Unfortunately, we had to accept his drink of choice which turned out be a shot of Jagermeister set up in a glass of Red Bull depth charge style. I can't recall what Marty called the concoction last night, but some quick Googling revealed that it goes by many names including "Jager Bomb," "Up All Night," and "Blaster." After consuming my regular Thursday night allotment of beer it wasn't exactly what I had in mind to cap off the evening.

Shots are not my preferred method for imbibing. If I wish to drink liquor I like to savor the taste, not pound it into my gullet. And shots have a tendency to catch up to you in a hurry and lead to poor buzz management decision making (some time I will chronicle the tale of my friend's quest for the "perfect buzz").

But in this case there really was no choice. The shots were a visible symbol of our triumph that had to be consumed. Marty had made the offer in good faith and had carried through on his end of the bargain. We had to complete the ritual transaction or risk dishonoring Marty and losing face ourselves. And so we threw 'em back.

And they were actually pretty good. Not my first drink of choice by any means. The spoils of victory cannot always be chosen. Yet they must always be enjoyed. And so I loved the smell of Jagermeister and Red Bull at Keegan's last night. It smelled like victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment