Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The Way They Are

This weekend Barbara Streisand attempted to get into the novelty song business, parodying her own lyrics to "People" with this attempt at sticking it to George W. Bush. A sampling:

PEOPLE
I MEAN G - O - P - EOPLE -
WHO'D BELIEVE THERE'S SUCH PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD?

BUSH SEEZA
LOTTA CONDOLEEZA,
THEY'RE DIVIDING THE PLANET'S OIL
ACCORDING TO RICHARD "POIL"
AND THEY'RE ALL JUST TRAINEES
OF CHENEY'S.


I don't think Weird Al or Ray Stevens has anything to worry about. Although I would like to see what Streisand could do with the Stevens classic A-Hab the A-Rab.

Jennifer from Eagan writes in with her own parody of Streisand's "The Way We Were":

Activism--turns on the bulb of my tiny mind.
I don't think Bush caused 9/11 --but they say "that's the way things were."

Scattered pictures of Kerry at the communion rail. Sees no contradiction being Catholic and pro-choice. Wants to propose abortions by mail.

Can it be that I'm such a simpleton?
Fundraising for John Kerry who supports men marrying men? If we have the chance to vote for Dukakis again tell me, would we, could we?

Memories of beheadings on the internet.
911, torture, and terrorists--we simply choose to forget.

So it's the laughter, the belief in God and heaven. Whenever we remember our world before 911. I wish we could go back to being "The Way We Were".


That's great stuff. I'm sure it would be even better if I knew the melody to that sappy song, but I'll trust Jennifer nailed the meter exactly. For more on Streisand and more song parodies, check out Tim Blair and his commenters. Tim Blair and the Commenters, now that's a band I'd pay to see.

1 comment:

  1. Super website with a great sharing and amazing stories is ur web.. please keep doing what u do now.. thanks to you.
    Agen Bandaarq
    Agen domino
    Domino Online
    agen Bandarq
    Bandar domino99 agen domino online

    ReplyDelete